Sango-kaku' is a large deciduous shrub or small tree to 6m, with coral-red young branches bearing 5-lobed leaves which open pinkish-yellow, becoming green in summer and yellow in autumn. Flowers small, reddish
- Common Name: Japanese maple, coral-bark maple, Acer palmatum 'Senkaki'
- Family: Sapindaceae
- Origin: Asia / Russia
- Great For: Autumn Colour, Colourful Bark, Dramatic Foliage
- Awards: AGM
- Foliage: Golden & Green
- Soil: Moist but well-drained soil in partial shade. Protect it from harsh winds, which may cause leaf scorch.
FORM & SPECIFICATION
- Form: Tree, Deciduous
- Supplied Size Height: 90-100cm
- Supplied Pot Size: CL9
- Root Type: Potted
- After years of growth:
- Height: 6m
- Spread: 3m
PLANTING & CARE
Planting & Aftercare Advice
For optimum results, grow Acer palmatum ‘Sango-kaku’ in moist but well-drained soil in partial shade. Protect it from harsh winds, which may cause leaf scorch. can be planted in full sun, dappled shade or partial shade.
Create a hole the size of the root mass and about double the width. Aid your Coral Bark Maple in establishing more effectively by sprinkling root grow in prior to placing your tree. Use ericaceous compost where possible as it encourages vibrant Maple leaf colours, create a mix 50/50 of the original soil and the ericaceous compost. Fill in the space around the tree root and firm around gently, taking care not to pile soil up around the trunk of the tree.
Rain water is better for maple foliage colour. If you’re planting in spring or summer, water well and regularly for the first few months. If you’re planting in autumn, you may only need to water a little. Increase watering if there are extended periods of hot or dry weather. Keep the area around your tree free from other planting for a couple of growing seasons and should it snow brush it off gently so the weight of it will not cause damage your tree.
Carry out pruning during the maples dormant season, during the months November to March. Japanese Maple trees very rarely need pruning. The natural shape is normally the most sought after so only remove, crossing, damaged or diseased branches.
PRICE CHECK GUARANTEE
Subject to management discretion, your product may be eligible for price matching if it is:
- Identical to a competitor's i.e. the product must be a matching brand, model number and colour, and offered on the same terms and warranty.
- Both of our item and the competitor's items must be currently in stock.
- The current UK store or website price, inclusive of VAT and delivery charges. We must be able to verify the competitor’s price and stock position.
DELIVERY & RETURNS
We deliver Plants and Trees all over Northern Ireland. The price shown is the 'collected' price; an additional delivery fee may apply.
- Automatic free delivery when you spend a minimum of £100.
- For smaller orders, please contact us for a competitive delivery quotation.
Delivery is made to your driveway or another area that is an accessible area of 'hard standing' where a large van can safely navigate at the address listed on the delivery schedule.
We have two kinds of delivery depending on the size of the tallest tree in your order - Standard Size and Oversized.
Standard plants and trees can be delivered by our own vehicles and are also suitable for pallet delivery.
Oversized plants are specified on the product page. Oversized plants and trees can only be delivered by our own vehicles and are not suitable for pallet delivery.
Deliveries are usually made within 7 working days. Our standard delivery days are Monday to Friday between 9 am and 5 pm. Please contact us by email if you have particular delivery requirements.